The Sacrament of Baptism in the Catholic Church
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded of you” (Matt 28:19-20).
Baptism is the first sacrament celebrated in the process of becoming a full member of the Church community. It is the first of the three Sacraments of Initiation – Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist. Baptism is, like all the sacraments, a gift from God.
The fruit of Baptism, or baptismal grace, is a rich reality that includes forgiveness of original sin and all personal sins, birth into the new life by which man becomes an adoptive son of the Father, a member of Christ and a temple of the Holy Spirit. By this very fact the person baptized is incorporated into the Church, the Body of Christ, and made a sharer in the priesthood of Christ. (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1279)
BAPTISM AT THE CATHEDRAL OF CHRIST THE KING
The Catholic Church has always taught and respected the understanding that parents are the primary educators in the faith of their children. Our Baptismal preparation is designed to assist parents and godparents in raising these children in the faith.
Please allow ample time to complete this planning. Expectant families are encouraged to begin preparation before their child is born.
Before you schedule your child’s baptism, we ask parents:
- To be registered and active members* of the Catholic Church AND
- To have attended a baptism preparation class in the past 5 years
* An active member is registered with a parish, attends Mass on a regular basis, supports the parish through the giving of time, talent, and treasure (use of offertory envelopes or online giving), and receives regular mailings and communications from the parish. For Christ the King members, we ask that you be a registered member for at least three months prior to scheduling the baptism.
*Are you registered and active members of the Cathedral of Christ the King OR another parish?
- Yes – Refer to Guidelines to Baptism
- No – To register with CTK
- CLICK here to register
- OR Fill out the online form from the Cathedral website homepage:
- Scroll to bottom and click on “CTK New Parishioner Registration”
- Be sure to enter information for ALL household members (spouse, children).
- This form can also be requested from the receptionist.
GUIDELINES FOR BAPTISM
Please review the guidelines below for specifics on having your child baptized. We understand that every family is unique and that there are often special circumstances. Should you wish to discuss your child’s baptismal celebration, please feel free to contact us.
- Baptism Preparation for Infants and Children
- Baptism Preparation for Older Children (Grades 3 through 12)
- Baptism Preparation for Adults
- Have you been asked to be a Godparent or Confirmation Sponsor
- Scheduling a Baptism
- Baptism Calendar
- Permission to Baptize Elsewhere
- Day of Baptism
- Spanish Baptism Preparation
- Frequently Asked Questions
Contact: Elaine McCollum, 404-267-3692, email@example.com