Our Cathedral Family consists of well over 5,700 registered families who are deeply involved in the over 100 Ministries in service at the Cathedral. Please prayerfully consider using your Time and Talent to support furthering the message of Christ through our Ministries.
The parish was formed in 1936 as the country descended into the Great Depression. The parish took as its motto: Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat, i.e., Christ is Victorious, Christ Reigns and Christ Commands. These words summarize the name chosen for the parish as Christ is King of all.
The first Eucharistic Celebration of Christ the King Parish was held on August 15, 1936 in celebration of the Feast of The Assumption. The first pastor was Father Joseph P. Moylan. There were about 250 families at the time; whereas today we have about 5,000 families registered. Christ the King was formed and designed as a parish. During construction it was named as a co-cathedral with Savannah and later it was named as the cathedral for the Archdiocese of Atlanta.
A special year for the parish occurred in 1956. On July 2, the Diocese of Atlanta was created. The Co-Cathedral was raised to the status of the Cathedral of Christ the King with the most Reverend Francis E. Hyland installed in the fall as first Bishop of Atlanta. He brought with him from Philadelphia Fr. Michael Regan to be his secretary. Fr. James Boyce became the first Chancellor of the new diocese. Sr. St. Raphael became principal for both high school and primary school.
In 1916, an elegant white-columned, Greek revival-style mansion was built by Edward M Durant on the site of the Cathedral. In 1921, the house was bought by the Ku Klux Klan. The group met mostly in secret in the home with the intention of transforming it into their “Imperial Palace,” but by the 1930s had begun to unravel with the onset of the Great Depression. After the property went into foreclosure, the Church was able to purchase the land from the mortgage holder.
The cost of the 4 acres of land and mansion was $35,000, quite a sum at that time but was chosen over other available locations due to the fact it was on public transportation. Sunday Mass was celebrated on the porch while a temporary chapel was built inside the original building. When the school auditorium was finished the Mass moved to that location.
On the Feast of Christ the King on October 31, 1937, the cornerstone for the Church was blessed and the dedication took place on January 18, 1939. A French Gothic architectural style of the old world was selected for the Cathedral. The Gothic style building, a feature of the medieval church, was designed by the Philadelphia based firm of Henry D. Dagit. Indiana limestone was used as well as and Stone Mountain granite and Georgia marble were used in the construction. It is reported to cost nearly $400,000 at 1936 prices. In the winter of 1939 the Cathedral was voted Atlanta’s most beautiful building in the third annual architectural poll sponsored by the “Architectural Record”, a national publication devoted to architects and architecture.